Saturday, November 21

WAHACA

So...my main issue with London is the lack of good Mexican Food....
A few weeks ago, whilst at a Market Kitchen filming...I was over the moon to discover they were doing a Day Of The Dead section.
Thomasina Miers, winner of 2005 Master Chef was on doing a dish from her restaurant Wahaca.
She treated us to her Smoked Herring Tostada - delicious!
How refreshing....a talented British chef, food writer and campaigner, she opened the canteen-style Mexican restaurant in Covent Garden in 2007. On offer is authentic  food from the market stalls in Mexico, using good British produce and MSC certified fish.

So, this week I decided to go along to Wahaca and sample it for myself. Loved it!
We arrived just after 6 o'clock. which is a good time to go, as within just an hour the place was packed!
Could it be the new Wagamama? I think so...totally different food of course, but a similar set up - if not a bit more classy. We were taken to our table by a good looking friendly waiter, who was happy to talk us through the menu.
With an extensive tequila and cocktail menu, I actually managed to pass on the red wine to try one.
Aptly named 'Day of the Dead' the long drink included pineapple, tequila and my favourite ingredient....RED WINE! Ha! It was lovely.
The 'Street food' is a selection of Mexican style Tapas.
Vegetarian Carolynn opted for these....and had Black bean tostada, Black beans & cheese quesadilla and Huitlacoche and feta taquitos. Very reasonable priced and very reasonable portion sizes!
I was tempted by the Street food - as I'm a BIG  tapas fan...particularly by the Chorizo Quesidilla....however I couldn't resist trying the Mole Enchilada. Wahaca has 7 different moles, inpressive indeed. Our friendly waiter brought us over some samples, which we tucked into, using cute plastic spoons...I was tempted to take one home...a bit like the Wagamama soup spoons...!
My main course: served with shredded free-range chicken was delicious, and there was lots of it!
We were too full for pudding, but the vanilla ice-cream with toasted pumpkin seeds and drizzled home-made hibiscus syrup sounded great!
And all this for only £32. We will definitely be going to Wahaca again.
They even have an interesting News Letter and 'Grow your own chillies' disguised as colourful books of matches.
The Mexican Revolution is here....and I like it!

So, I'm even more determined to go ahead and get my Mexican Sugar Skull tattoo now....I've been putting it off for months as I've been away all summer....but think now is the time....

RQ X

No comments:

Post a Comment